Friday, October 6, 2017

Yung Villigan | TripleHQ Exclusive Interview | @mbalencrime |

Yung Villigan Yung Villigan sits down with Hip Hop Headquarters


Describe the typical Yung Villigan fan.



My fans are the life force that keeps me going. It’s hard to say what my typical fan Is because my music is so diverse. I try and hit every angle I got something everybody can feel, from the block to the suburbs to even overseas. I like telling stories. Even my street songs have meaning so I feel like my typical fan would be someone who actually listens to music, and doesn't just bump it because it’s a hot hit. They actually feels what I'm saying. Everyone has a struggle, therefore everyone can relate to my grind. Hell, I even got a few country fans. I've hit a few dirt roads and had a few bonfires in my day. I'm from Arkansas.



What track of yours do you think you should go down in history for and why? 

I've been making music for a while now. I have a lot of songs on SoundCloud, but I have a lot of songs unreleased. It’s hard to say what song will go down in the books because I feel strongly about them all. I can go to my catalog and hear a song I finished a year ago and think it’s the one. I did a song called " Wake Up" recently that talks about some political things going on right now and if I release it I feel like it would go down in history. But in my opinion " Fall Back" is the one. It's a song I did at my partner Ty Jack’s house. It’s the squad anthem, it shows my hunger. It’s the perfect mix of my lyrical flow with a hint of where I'm taking my music. 


What do you think the old school can learn from the new school and vice versa?

The old school set the stage for us coming up so I feel like no new rapper should hate on the blueprints of the craft. In the same sense, old school shouldn't just down all the new school music neither because it’s our time right now and it’s selling. Music has evolved to a point where not everyone coming out is gonna be a gangster rapper and not everyone is gonna be a conscious musician. It’s your image and how you present it. Rap is just evolving and some say for the better while others say for the worse. Either way it’s still the culture. My goal is to meet the greats, the generation before me and the lil homies and bridge them. my style of music is a little of both anyway. 



What’s Newport like? Describe it for a person who’s never been.

Newport, like a lot of places, got its good and bad things about it, you feel me. I mean you got love and hate… just depends on how you take it. It's a small town but it's like a jungle in a sense. You got your apes, lions, tigers, and you also got your snakes, weasels and rats. I love my town because it prepared me for a lot of things to watch for out here. It made me who I am today. I started rapping from being in school hearing dudes from my town killing shit. All my childhood friends and cousins was rapping so all this is just something that I've been groomed for. I mean Ice Cube said it best: every hood is the same. And the stuff going on in them big cities is happening here - not as much, but it's happening. As long as you stay out the way and in your own lane you good.



How do you feel about the Arkansas rap scene?

I have a love/hate relationship with the Arkansas music scene. The come up is hard where I'm from. We have no local radio stations, it’s all country. So it’s hard for someone trying to come up to get any exposure unless another state is rocking with you. That's also the reason I love the Arkansas music scene - it weeds out the weak. Only a few artists have gotten exposure out of Arkansas. We have no one who is repping us. When that door opens the flood gates will open along with them. I know so many artists from my hometown that have the pure talent to make it out. I hope I can be the bridge and set the platform for artists just like me: hungry, dedicated and just trying to get that bag.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment